The volunteers’ programme for the FIVB Volleyball Men's World Championship Russia 2022 was presented at the International #WeAreTogether Civil Forum held at the 'Manezh' exhibition centre in Moscow over the weekend.
World Championship Russia 2022 Volunteer Programme unveiled
Published 04:00, 04 Dec 2021
Volunteers help with numerous issues and questions at a sports event. They create a special atmosphere for a competition as they welcome fans to arenas and are also the image of the host country. They are key to the success of every major international sports event.
“Volunteers are the face of the Championship, of the competition. Often, they are the first people who spectators, sportsmen, journalists see at the stadium. People can form an impression about a country and a tournament based on how a volunteer behaves, smiles, whether he or she speaks English or not. What and how will he represent his country?... The volunteers’ help is very important,” said Roman Stanislavov, the Director General of the Organising Committee of the FIVB Volleyball World Championship in Russia 2022.
30 000 candidates are expected to register to become volunteers at next year's FIVB Volleyball Men's World Championship in Russia
3 500 candidates will be selected as volunteers, and they will help across 18 functions including accreditation, events organisation and transportation. When they register, volunteers can choose the functions they are interested in.
The tournament will take place from August 26 to September 11 in 10 cities including Moscow, St. Petersburg, Kaliningrad, Yaroslavl, Kazan, Ufa, Yekaterinburg, Novosibirsk, Kemerovo and Krasnoyarsk. The Organising Committee (OC) will collaborate with the AVC (Association of Volunteers’ Centre), which will unite volunteers’ centres around the whole country.
The AVC will help to promote and implement the volunteer programme in different regions of Russia.
Local volunteers’ centres in the host cities of the World Championship will help the OC to recruit and select volunteers. Several volunteers’ centres will be involved, including:
- Mosvolunteer centre (Moscow)
- City volunteers’ centre (St. Petersburg)
- Centre of volunteering development (Yaroslavl)
- Kaliningradskiy volunteers’ centre (Kaliningrad)
- Direction of sports and social events (Kazan)
- Ural volunteers (Ekaterinburg)
- BGMU Volunteers’ centre (Ufa)
- Volunteer’s centre of Novosibirskiy region (Novosibirsk)
- Regional centre of volunteering development (Kemerovo)
- Development corporation of Yenisey Siberia (Krasnoyarsk).
Requirements for volunteers
Volunteers will be 18+ years old and have:
- Knowledge of foreign languages
- An ability to participate as a volunteer for at least 12 days
- Willingness to take part in training
- Experience in volunteering an advantage
- Teamwork skills
What do you need to do to become a volunteer?
1. Submit your application. Registration for the programme will open in the first quarter of 2022
Anyone over the age of 18 can apply to join the team of volunteers. Full requirements for volunteers in various functions will be available in the application description.
2. Pass an interview
3. Receive confirmation of successful selection
4. Complete the training programme
5. Receive an accreditation and outfit
Services for volunteers
During the World Championship, each volunteer will be provided with a branded outfit and free travel on public transport in the host city. All volunteers will be insured starting from their first shift and will be provided with free meals (one or two times a day, depending on the length of the work shift). Foreign and non-resident volunteers will be able to get free accommodation.
City volunteers have always been an integral part of the organisation and staging of major sporting events in Russia and ensure the creation of an atmosphere of hospitality and comfort for the guests of a city. The City Volunteer Programme is implemented by the volunteer centres of the host cities. With their cordiality and hospitality, dedication and well-coordinated work, they will help to form a positive image of each region. Candidates from 14 to 16 years old can become City volunteers (depending on the city).