St. Petersburg, Russia, August 11, 2019 – In the deciding match in Pool E of Tokyo Volleyball Qualification, the men’s national team of Russia hammered out a 3-0 (25-19, 25-23, 25-23) shutout of Iran to claim their third victory in St. Petersburg and a ticket to the 2020 Olympic Games. Victor Poletaev contributed 19 points to his side’s victory.
Earier on Sunday, Cuba mastered a 3-0 (21-18, 25-23, 25-22) win over Mexico with Jesus Herrera Jaime stringing up 26 points.
Cuba - Mexico (August 11, 2019)
• Cuba and Mexico meet for the first time in the last seven world Olympic qualifying campaigns (1996-2020).
• These nations met five times in major world level competitions (Olympic Games, World Championship, World Cup, World League, Nations League, Grand Champions Cup).
• Cuba won all five world level matches against Mexico in straight sets, at the 1974, 1978 and 2010 World Championship and in the 2014 World League (twice).
• Cuba won the 2016 NORCECA Olympic Qualification tournament. One of Cuba's wins came against Mexico (3-0).
• Cuba lost 3-2 against Iran and 3-0 against Russia to see their bid for Tokyo 2020 end on this occasion.
• Jesus Herrera Jaime was Cuba's leading points scorer versus Russia in Saint Petersburg, with 15 points.
• Yohan Armando Leon Napoles had a match-high four serve winners against Russia on Saturday.
• Mexico have lost both their matches in Tokyo 2020 qualifying: 3-0 against Russia and Iran.
• Daniel Vargas was Mexico's top scorer in both matches in Saint Petersburg, with nine points against Russia on Friday and 19 points against Iran a day later.
• Jorge Barajas hit two of Mexico's three serve winners against Iran.
Russia - Iran (August 11, 2019)
• Russia and Iran meet for the first time in the last seven world Olympic qualifying campaigns (1996-2020).
• Russia won 11 of the 15 encounters with Iran in major world level tournaments (Olympic Games, World Championship, World Cup, World League, Nations League, Grand Champions Cup).
• Russia and Iran most recent world level meeting came in the 2019 Volleyball Nations League. Iran won in straight sets in the preliminary round.
• These nations met once at the Olympic Games. Russia won in straight sets in the group stage at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games.
• So far this weekend, Russia beat Mexico and Cuba in straight sets in Saint Petersburg.
• Russia (NOC) competed in each of the last six Olympic Games, from 1996 to 2016. Soviet Union participated from 1964 to 1980 and in 1988, while Unified Team played in the 1992 edition.
• Russia (NOC) collected four Olympic medals in the men's tournament: gold in 2012, silver in 2000 and bronze in 2004 and 2008. Soviet Union (G3-S2-B1) won a joint-record three gold medals and a joint-record six total medals in the Olympic Games.
• Dmitry Volkov (15) and Victor Poletaev (13) reached double figures in scoring for Russia against Cuba on Saturday. On Friday, no Russian reached 10 points.
• Ivan Iakovlev had a match-high three stuff blocks against Cuba.
• Iran beat Mexico 3-0 on Saturday. On Friday, they came from two sets behind to defeat Cuba 3-2.
• Iran participated once in the Olympic Games, at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games, finishing in joint-fifth place.
• Iran won each of their last six world Olympic qualification matches, since a 3-0 defeat against France in 2016.
• Ali Shafiei was Iran's top scorer on Friday on 20 points, but scored no points on Saturday. In contrast, Porya Yali scored only one point on Friday, while ending up as top scorer on 20 points on Saturday. Quick links - Volleyball:
FIVB.com - Tokyo Volleyball Qualification
FIVB.com - Volleyball