Shreveport-Bossier City, USA, August 2, 2019 - The United States led on all fronts to beat Kazakhstan, while Bulgaria came up with a four-set win over Argentina on the first day of the Tokyo Volleyball Qualification Pool C in Shreveport-Bossier City, Louisiana on Friday.
Kelsey Robinson was on fire on Friday, as she drilled 11 of 16 attack attempts and added two blocks to lead the USA squad to victory, while the opposing side was limited to score in single-digits with Natalia Sharshakova recording only nine points.
In the other match, Bulgaria's Elitsa Vasileva topped all scorers with 18 points, leading three other teammates who scored in double figures. Paula Yamila Nizetich led Argentina with 16 markers.Quick links - Volleyball:
FIVB.com - Tokyo Volleyball Qualification
FIVB.com - Volleyball
Argentina - Bulgaria (August 2, 2019)
· Argentina and Bulgaria meet for the first time in the last seven world Olympic qualifying campaigns (1996-2020).
· Argentina and Bulgaria met twice in major world level tournaments (Olympic Games, FIVB Volleyball World Championship, FIVB Volleyball World Cup, FIVB Volleyball World Grand Prix, FIVB Volleyball Nations League, FIVB Volleyball World Grand Champions Cup).
· Bulgaria defeated Argentina in the 2016 World Grand Prix (3-1) and in the 2017 World Grand Prix (3-2).
· At the Rio 2016 Olympic Games, Argentina appeared for the first time in the Olympic Games. They finished in joint-ninth place alongside Italy.
· Argentina earned qualification for Rio 2016 after winning the 2016 South American Olympic Qualification Tournament.
· Argentina's previous participation in a world Olympic qualification tournament was in 2000. They finished in seventh place.
· Argentina won only one of their seven world Olympic qualification matches in 2000, a 3-2 win over Canada.
· Bulgaria could qualify for the Olympic Games for the second time after 1980.
· Bulgaria appeared at the Moscow 1980 Olympic Games after Japan, China and United States boycotted the tournament. They ended up winning the bronze medal.
· Bulgaria participate in a world Olympic qualification tournament for the first time since 1996.
· Bulgaria won three of their seven world Olympic qualification matches in 1996 and finished in fifth place.
Bulgaria's Zhana Todorova keeps the ball in play during the 2019 FIVB Volleyball Nations League
United States - Kazakhstan (August 2, 2019)
· United States and Kazakhstan meet for the first time in the last seven world Olympic qualifying campaigns (1996-2020).
· United States (W6-L0) are unbeaten in their major world level meetings with Kazakhstan (Olympic Games, World Championship, World Cup, World Grand Prix, Nations League, Grand Champions Cup).
· United States won their last four world level matches against Kazakhstan in straight sets, since a 3-1 win in the 2007 World Grand Prix.
· United States appeared in 11 Olympic Games, including in each of the last nine editions (1984-2016).
· Only Japan (12, excl. 2020) participated in the women's tournament at the Olympic Games more often (Korea also 11).
· United States, Brazil and China are the only NOCs to have appeared in the women's tournament at each of the last nine Olympic Games.
· United States collected five medals at the Olympic Games, but none of those is gold. They won silver in 1984, 2008 and 2012, while grabbing bronze in 1992 and 2016.
· This is United States' first participation in the last seven world Olympic qualifying campaigns (1996-2020).
· Since hosting the Olympic Games in 1996, United Stated qualified for the Olympic Games through the World Cup or a North American qualification tournament.
· Kazakhstan could qualify for the Olympic Games for the second time after 2008. They finished in joint-ninth place alongside Poland.
· Kazakhstan qualified for the Beijing 2008 Olympic Games as the best ranked Asian team outside the top-3 at the 2008 World Olympic Qualification Tournament.
· Kazakhstan finished in eighth and last place at the 2016 World Olympic Qualification tournament.
· Kazakhstan won only two of their last 14 matches in a world Olympic qualification tournament, both in 2008: 3-0 against Republic of Korea and 3-1 versus Thailand.
Related articles: Pools A, B, D, E, F:
- Tokyo Volleyball Qualification Pool A begins with Serbia v Thailand and hosts Poland v Puerto Rico
- Turkey, Germany and Czech Republic join Pool B hosts China in Ningbo