Ningbo, China, August 2, 2019 – Hosts China beat the Czech Republic 3-0 (25-18, 25-23, 25-19), while Turkey edged Germany 3-1 (27-25, 25-20, 17-25, 25-20) in Pool B of the Tokyo Volleyball Qualification at Beilun Sports and Arts Centre in Ningbo on Friday.
Andrea Kossanyiova scored a match-high 17 points for the Czechs but could not bring her team a win as Rio Olympic gold medallists Zhu Ting, Yuan Xinyue, Zhang Changning and Gong Xiangyu all scored in double-digits, jointly scoring 44 points for the home team.
Ebrar Karakurt and Eda Erdem Dundar teamed up to lead Turkey with 16 and 15 points, respectively, outperforming their German rivals Jana Franziska Poll and Louisa Lippmann, who had 14 markers each.
Quick links - Volleyball:
FIVB.com - Tokyo Volleyball Qualification
FIVB.com - Volleyball
Turkey - Germany (August 2, 2019)
· Turkey and Germany meet for the first time in the last seven world Olympic qualifying campaigns (1996-2020).
· Turkey won eight of their 10 meetings with Germany (incl. East and West Germany) in major world level tournaments (Olympic Games, FIVB Volleyball World Championship, FIVB Volleyball World Cup, FIVB Volleyball World Grand Prix, FIVB Volleyball Nations League, FIVB Volleyball World Grand Champions Cup).
· Turkey have won their last four world level matches against Germany, since a 3-1 defeat in the 2014 World Grand Prix.
· Turkey defeated Germany in straight sets in the 2019 Volleyball Nations League, their most recent world level encounter.
· Germany (incl. East and West Germany) lead the head-to-head against Turkey at the European championships: W7-L2.
· Turkey's only participation in the Olympic Games was in 2012. They qualified after winning the European qualification tournament in front of a home crowd in Ankara.
· Turkey finished in joint-ninth place alongside host nation Great Britain at the London 2012 Olympic Games.
· Turkey participate for the first time in the last seven world Olympic qualifying campaigns (1996-2020).
· In Turkey's last participation in a major world level tournament, in the 2019 Volleyball Nations League, they won seven of their nine matches against fellow CEV sides. They lost 3-1 to Belgium and 3-2 to Italy.
· Germany (NOC) participated in the Olympic Games on three previous occasions, from 1996 to 2004. East Germany (1976, 1980, 1988) and West Germany (1972, 1984) also appeared in the Olympic Games.
· Germany's (NOC) best Olympic result was a sixth place in 2000. East Germany claimed the only Olympic medal among the German NOCs, silver in 1980.
· This is Germany's first participation in the last seven world Olympic qualifying campaigns (1996-2020).
· Germany won four of their last six world level matches against teams representing the CEV, with the only exceptions a 3-2 defeat against Netherlands and a 3-0 loss versus Turkey.
Turkey celebrate a point during the 2019 FIVB Volleyball Nations League
China - Czech Republic (August 2, 2019)
· China and Czech Republic meet for the first time in the last seven world Olympic qualifying campaigns (1996-2020).
· China won two of their three meetings with Czech Republic (incl. Czechoslovakia) in major world level tournaments (Olympic Games, World Championship, World Cup, World Grand Prix, Nations League, Grand Champions Cup).
· China won at the 1974 World Championship (3-2 vs Czechoslovakia) and in the 2013 World Grand Prix (3-0 vs Czech Republic). Czech Republic's win came at the 1956 World Championship (3-0 as Czechoslovakia).
· China have appeared nine times in the Olympic Games, all in the last nine editions.
· China won Olympic gold in 1984, 2004 and 2016. They claimed silver in 1996 and bronze in 1988 and 2008.
· Only Soviet Union (4) has won more Olympic gold medals in the women's tournament. Soviet Union, China and Japan share the record for most total medals (all 6).
· China qualified for the Olympic Games in their previous participation in a world Olympic qualification tournament, in 2000.
· Since 2000, China qualified for the Olympic Games through the World Cup (2004, 2012, 2016) or as the host country (2008).
· China won five of their seven world Olympic qualification matches in 2000, only losing to Netherlands (3-0) and Italy (3-1).
· Czech Republic appeared twice in the Olympic Games, as Czechoslovakia in 1968 and 1972. They finished in sixth and seventh place respectively.
· Czech Republic participate for the first time in the last seven world Olympic qualifying campaigns (1996-2020).
· Czech Republic are on a three-match winning run in their major world level matches against teams representing the AVC. They defeated Kazakhstan (twice) and Australia in the 2014 World Grand Prix.
Related articles: Pools A, C, D, E, F:
- Tokyo Volleyball Qualification Pool A begins with Serbia v Thailand and hosts Poland v Puerto Rico
- USA welcome Argentina, Bulgaria and Kazakhstan in Pool C
- Pool F in Catania features Belgium, Kenya, Italy and the Netherlands