Ningbo, China, August 9, 2019 - Jiang Chuan powered China to a 3-1 (25-22, 21-25, 25-22, 25-23) victory against Finland in the opening match of Tokyo Volleyball Qualification Pool F in Ningbo, leading scoring for his team with 25 points. In the second match of the day in Ningbo, Argentina defeated Canada 3-1 (25-23, 22-25, 27-25, 25-23) with Facundo Conte on 24 points for the South Americans.
Canada - Argentina (August 9, 2019)
· Canada and Argentina meet for the first time in the last seven world Olympic qualifying campaigns (1996-2020).
· Argentina won 11 of their 18 encounters with Canada in major world level tournaments (Olympic Games, World Championship, World Cup, World League, Nations League, Grand Champions Cup).
· Canada won their last two world level meetings with Argentina, 3-1 victories in the 2018 and 2019 Volleyball Nations League (both preliminary round).
· Argentina's last world level victory over Canada was a 3-1 at the 2015 World Cup.
· Canada could participate in the Olympic Games for the fifth time, and for the second edition in a row.
· Canada's best result in the Olympic Games was a fourth place in 1984. At the Rio 2016 Olympic Games they finished in joint-fifth place.
· Canada competed in four of the last six world Olympic qualifying campaigns (1996-2016), only earning an Olympic ticket in 2016.
· Canada qualified in 1976 as the host nation, in 1984 through the NORCECA Championship and in 1992 through the NORCECA Olympic qualification tournament.
· In their last four world Olympic qualification tournaments, Canada won both of their matches against CSV sides. They defeated Venezuela twice, 3-1 in 1996 and 3-0 in 2016.
· Canada won four of their last five world Olympic qualification matches, with a 3-0 defeat against France as the only exception.
· Argentina competed in the Olympic Games on seven occasions, all in the previous nine editions.
· Argentina's best result in the Olympic Games was a bronze medal in 1988. Argentina finished in joint-fifth place in their last three participations (2004, 2012, 2016).
· Argentina qualified for the 2004, 2012 and 2016 Olympic Games after winning the South American Olympic qualification tournament.
· Argentina participated in two of the last six world Olympic qualifying campaigns (1996-2016), in 2000 (qualification) and 2008.
· Argentina lost their last two world Olympic qualification matches, 3-2 defeats against Japan and Italy in 2008.
China - Finland (August 9, 2019)
· China and Finland meet for the first time in the last seven world Olympic qualifying campaigns (1996-2020).
· China won six of their seven major world level matches against Finland (Olympic Games, World Championship, World Cup, World League, Nations League, Grand Champions Cup).
· China had won each of their first six world level encounters with Finland, before losing 3-1 in the 2017 World League.
· China's last world level victory over Finland was a 3-2 at the 2014 World Championship.
· China could participate in the Olympic Games for the third time, after 1984 and 2008.
· China also qualified for the Olympic Games in 1980, but they boycotted that tournament.
· China finished in eighth place in 1984 and in fifth place in 2008. They entered those Games on a wild card (1984, boycott other NOCs) and as the host nation (2008).
· China competed in five of the last six world Olympic qualifying campaigns (1996-2016), with the only exception the 2008 edition (already qualified as hosts).
· In their last five participations in a world Olympic qualification tournament, China won only one of their eight matches against CEV sides: a 3-0 win over Greece in 2000.
· China lost their last four world Olympic qualification matches, since a 3-0 win against Venezuela in 2016. Three of those four defeats came in five sets.
· Finland could qualify for the Olympic Games for the first time.
· Finland can become the second Nordic country to qualify for the men's tournament at the Olympic Games, after Sweden (1988).
· Finland participate for the first time in the last six world Olympic qualifying campaigns (1996-2016).
Quick links - Volleyball:
FIVB.com - Tokyo Volleyball Qualification
FIVB.com - Volleyball